Tony Barber graced our screens for four decades through The Great Temptation, Family Feud, Sale of the Century and Jeopardy, has worked for 7, 9 and 10 and picked up a Gold Logie along the way.
Australian television game show royalty, Tony Barber talks to Aaron Ryan at TV Blackbox about his career from the Navy to radio, to singing and dancing and to rising to the game show mountain by hosting day time and prime time editions of The Great Temptation simultaneously.
In this edition, Tony Barber covers:
- Time in the Navy Academy from the age of 14
- Passion for singing and his release of over half a dozen successful albums
- Being spotted by Bruce Gyngell and where his career in media started
- The Great Temptation
- The Gold Logie
- Family Feud
- Sale of the Century
- What viewers didn’t see
- Why he left Sale of the Century
- Differences of working at 7, 9 and 10
- Wheel of Fortune and the backlash from the viewers over changes to the show
- The dynamics between Adriana Xenides and John Burgess
- Leaving Wheel of Fortune
- Weirdness of returning to guest host Temptation
- Dancing with the Stars
- Senior Moments stage production
- Career regrets
- Career highlights
Thank you so much to Tony for an extended chat (around 1 hour) because it really gives listeners an opportunity for an open and honest insight into the career and the stories of a Gold Logie legend.
Other notable interviews this year include: