Michael Pell is one of the most powerful people in television. As the Executive Producer of Sunrise his influence extends beyond the breakfast timeslot and into prime time as the Seven Network uses his skills on major live events.
These days Michael rarely gives interviews, so it’s a rare glimpse into his thoughts on what makes good TV, ratings and competition.
But he also talks about his personal relationships with his former boss Adam Boland and former host Samantha Armytage.
It’s an interview where nothing was off limits and Michael doesn’t hold back.
Topics of discussion:
- 2.20 – His rise through the ranks
- 3.20 – Work experience at the TODAY show
- 4.20 – His relationship with former boss Adam Boland
- 8.10 – The launch of Wake Up and the poaching of staff
- 11.15 – The pressure of taking over Sunrise and maintaining the #1 position
- 14.00 – Ratings pressures
- 19.00 – Ratings spin: Metro v National figures
- 26.48 – Dealing with cast changes and keeping the audience
- 33.13 – How his relationship with Sam Armytage changed over the years
- 35.27 – Kochie’s future
- 37.25 – Watching the TODAY show implode
- 41.00 – His analysis of the TODAY show, including claims of copying
- 43.00 – Pranks on set (including when Michael has worn the Cash Cow suit and surprised the hosts live on air)
- 45.20 – Prime time projects and his future at Seven
- 47.45 – Meeting his new partner, Daniel, at work and how their love grew
- 53.00 – Why he doesn’t do interviews like this any more