ABC Yours in 2022
For the very young to the young at heart, and for everyone in between, in 2022 the ABC is promising it will have something for all Australians to connect with on ABC and ABC iview.
In 2022 the ABC will be celebrating its 90th birthday.
Showcasing world-class drama, exciting kids content, engaging documentaries, entertaining comedies and reality with a difference – audiences rejoice! The ABC has you covered.
Programming highlights for the ABC in 2022 include:
- An impressive line-up of world-class Australian drama including; Significant Others, Savage River, Barons, Troppo and Mystery Road: Origin.
- Australia’s favourite family, the Ferrone’s are back in a new series Back in Time for the Corner Shop.
- Aussie teens step up to the mark in Old People’s Home for Teenagers.
- Miriam Margolyes is set to hit the road once again in Miriam Margolyes: Australia Unmasked.
- Never before seen on Australian television, music and news stories combine in the highly original – all singing, all dancing series Stories from Oz.
- The magnificence of Australia’s natural world will be revealed in the special show Southern Ocean Live hosted by Hamish Macdonald and Dr Ann Jones.
- Natalie Bassingthwaighte, Jimmy Rees, Bessie Holland, Mandy McElhinney, Bridie Carter, Veronica Milsom and Namila Benson unpack the Arts.
- Get ready to laugh with returning comedy favourites Fisk and Aftertaste and the new anthology comedy series Summer Love.
- Sport fans are in for a treat with three engaging documentaries: A League of Her Own, Israel Folau and Harley and Katya.
- Julia Zemiro gets behind the wheel for the very last time in the final series of Julia Zemiro’s Home Delivery.
- Annabel Crabb steps into the hosting role in the new series of Tomorrow Tonight, with Charlie Pickering and Adam Liaw.
- Aussie youngsters will fall in love with Beep and Mort, while Aussie tweens will enjoy MaveriX and The PMs Daughter.
- ABC NEWS will deliver Australia’s most trusted news and investigative journalism, including the nation’s leading federal election coverage, and bring new insights, including in a special new series on South Asia.
Drama on the ABC in 2022 is rich, diverse and showcases young Australian talent, in spades.
Find out what happens when a key member of a family suddenly disappears in the psychological, relationship series Significant Others.
Katherine Langford (13 Reasons Why) stars in Savage River, an intriguing murder mystery set in regional Victoria.
Mark Coles Smith (Zero-Point) slips seamlessly into the role of young Jay Swan in Mystery Road: Origin.
Nicole Chamoun (Fighting Season) stars alongside Hollywood veteran Thomas Jane (The Expanse) in Troppo, while Sean Keenan (Glitch, Puberty Blues), Jillian Nguyen (Clickbait) and Ben O’Toole (Amazing Grace) hit the surf and take on big business in the action-packed series Barons.
Get set for an unmissable line-up of documentary series, live events and one-off specials, from all over Australia. Hamish Macdonald and Dr Ann Jones team up once again to uncover the amazing wildlife above and below the sea in Southern Ocean Live.
The four-year-olds are taking a break, so next year Aussie teens will connect with our old folk in Old People’s Home for Teenagers, while the Ferrone family become shop proprietors in Back in Time for the Corner Shop. Discover the family story behind the headlines in Ithaka: A Fight to Free Julian Assange, and be prepared to be moved by the community spirit on display in Rebuilding Mallacoota (w/t).
Miriam Margolyes is out to discover if Aussies can still get a fair go in Miriam Margolyes Australia Unmasked and Tony Armstrong seeks to understand the science behind the special bond humans have with our canine companions in A Dog’s World.
COMEDY AND ENTERTAINMENT
The lady in brown returns! Helen Tudor-Fisk (Kitty Flanagan) is back in Australia’s number one comedy Fisk.
Also returning in 2022 is thebad tempered and badly behaved celebrity chef Easton West (Erik Thomson) and his irrepressible niece Diana (Natalie Abbott) in a new series of Aftertaste, while the anthology series Summer Love, created by Robyn Butler and Wayne Hope (Upper Middle Bogan), brings eight very different love stories to one beautiful beach house.
The Chaser’s Chris Taylor and Andrew Hansen have teamed up to delight audiences with Stories from Oz, billed as a documentary series you can dance to and ABC favourite Julia Zemiro will take one final spin around the block for Julia Zemiro’s Home Delivery.
ABC Arts in 2022 is exciting, diverse and accessible. Jimmy Rees introduces the amazing artists who bring to life history in miniature in Tiny Oz; Natalie Bassingthwaighte is out to discover if art can change lives in Space 22 and in The Exhibitionists hosts Mandy McElhinney, Bridie Carter, Bessie Holland and Veronica Milsom, shine a spotlight on Australia’s feminist art history and Namila Benson returns in a new series of Art Works.
In 2022, the ABC is bringing you three very special, very different documentaries, including an in-depth look at one of Australia’s most successful yet controversial athletes Israel Folau while the compelling story of Olympic champions Harley and Katya, lifts the lid on the world of professional ice-skating.
The action-packed film A League of Her Own follows the Queensland State of Origin Women’s Rugby League team – the Maroons as they strive to achieve the extraordinary.
ABC ME and ABC Kids
In 2022, ABC Kids and ABC ME deliver trusted, quality, and fun new shows for all Aussie kids. Fall in love with Beep and Mort, as well as being best friends, they are live action puppets. Learn about the world with the team from The Wonder Gang in their new series, and of course everyone’s favourite Blue Heeler Bluey will be back!
Tweens will love the action-packed series MaveriX and Born to Spy, plus all the drama of The PM’s Daughter and a new series of First Day. Complementing the new line-up of shows are so many returning favourites including; Good Game: Spawn Point, Play School and Little J and Big Cuz plus animation series Strange Chores and The Deep.
ABC NEWS connects Australians to each other and to the rest of the world. No other network invests in investigative journalism like ABC NEWS, and in 2022 our award-winning teams will again deliver Australia’s leading public interest journalism. Our newsrooms around Australia produce the nation’s most trusted reporting on the big news and events at home.
As we begin to lift our sights from lockdowns and get back out to explore, our international bureaus will be our eyes and ears on the ground. Other 2022 highlights will include again assembling the nation’s top political team for a fascinating Federal Election — including “Mr Elections” Antony Green covering his 12th federal poll — and a special new series on South Asia.
Announcing the 2022 line up, ABC Managing Director David Anderson said:
“The ABC is proud to be the creative voice of Australia. We bring to life more Australian stories, people and places than anyone else.
Next year we will continue to showcase Australia’s wonderful diversity through rich storytelling, entertaining and inspiring shows, Australia’s most trusted news and coverage of live events.
In 2022, the ABC has something for everyone, with our personalised digital services, led by ABC iview.”
RETURNING IN 2022
Hard Quiz S7
Melbourne International Comedy Festival
Movin’ to the Country S2
Outback Ringers S2
Shaun Micallef’s Mad As Hell S14
The Weekly with Charlie Pickering S8
You Can’t Ask That S7
ABC NEWS & CURRENT AFFAIRS
ABC KIDS & ABC ME
Good Game: Spawn Point S13
Little J & Big Cuz S3
Mikki vs The World S2
The Deep S4
The Strange Chores S2
The Wonder Gang
E V E N T S
Australian of the Year
Australia Day Live Concert
New Year’s Eve