Australian-produced Moulin Rouge! The Musical will be competing for 14 awards including Best Musical at the upcoming 74th Annual Tony Awards.
In a return to free-to-air, the ceremony will be broadcast in Australia on 10 Peach from 9AM AEST with special event performances beginning at 11AM AEST and later available for catch up on 10 Play On Demand.
After being delayed by COVID-19, the 74th Annual Tony Awards will now recognize the achievement of Broadway productions during the 2019–20 season. This years ceremony will be hosted Audra McDonald and Leslie Odom Jr.
The Awards will celebrate the return of Broadway this month as part of a four-hour special featuring performances from the three Best Musical nominees including Moulin Rouge! The Musical.
Moulin Rouge! The Musical is the first Australian-produced musical to originate on Broadway and will have its Australian premiere this year at Melbourne’s Regent Theatre, with global productions set to open in London’s West End in November and Tokyo in 2023.
Moulin Rouge! The Musical is nominated for a total of 14 awards across 13 categories:
- Best Musical
- Best Direction of a Musical – Alex Timbers
- Best Book of a Musical – John Logan
- Best Choreography – Sonya Tayeh
- Best Orchestrations – Justin Levine with Matt Stine, Katie Kresek and Charlie Rosen
- Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical – Karen Olivo
- Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical – Aaron Tveit
- Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical – Robyn Hurder
- Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical – Danny Burstein, Sahr Ngaujah
- Best Scenic Design in a Musical –Derek McLane
- Best Costume Design in a Musical – Catherine Zuber
- Best Lighting Design in a Musical – Justin Townsend
- Best Sound Design of a Musical – Peter Hylenski
The 74th Annual Tony Awards airs Monday 27 September from 9AM AEST on 10 Peach and 10Play.
Note: Due to an ongoing dispute regarding editorial independence, the 10 Network and its parent company ViacomCBS declined to provide assistance in the preparation of this content.