The Games of the XXXII Olympiad will be live on Seven from this Friday night in what will be the country’s biggest-ever broadcast and digital event.
For the first time in Australian television history, there will be 45 dedicated Olympic channels across Channel 7, 7mate and the 7plus streaming platform. All live, free and in High Definition.
Seven is promising to deliver the most advanced digital product in Australian viewing history. Over one billion minutes will be streamed across the 17-day period, with four modes of viewing: live, full replay, Olympic minis (compressed replays) and short-form highlights.
7plus will be the only place to watch over 40 channels of sport.
The broadcast will feature a consistent app experience across 20 different platforms on 7plus including SmartTV’s , mobile devices, tablets and computers.
Additionally, the 7plus coverage of the games will include the following features for the first time:
- Watchlist: Provides users with the ability to add their favourite sports to an easily discoverable watchlist.
- Live EPG integration: to ensure they never miss a moment.
- Continue Watching: This gives signed-in users the ability to watch a sport full replay and pick up where they left off via the continue watching carousel located on their home screen.
- Captions: Live and VOD (including multilingual): To provide the ultimate accessible viewing experience for all of our users, it’s important to provide captioning to ensure as many users as possible can watch their favourite sports, events and highlights.
- Autoplay: The autoplay functionality provides viewers with a simple way to binge multiple event replays, highlights and sports minis without needing to lift a finger. It simply plays the next relevant piece of content.
- Chromecast and Airplay: As most people own multiple devices, including smart TVs and mobile phones, it’s becoming ever more important to provide a streaming service that supports this behaviour. The 7plus app will allow users to either Chromecast or Airplay content to their Chromecast or Airplay compatible device. This allows users to stream Tokyo 2020 on 7plus no matter the age of their television device.
- HD/SD selector: The 7plus player provides users with the ability to toggle between HD/SD to allow for the best and most data efficient streaming.
- Freeze Frame: A select, scaled range of devices have been enabled with Freeze Frame ads that appear as an overlay whenever a user pauses the content.
Seven’s Head of Network Sport, Lewis Martin has declared this year’s Olympic broadcast will be unlike anything you’ve ever seen before:
After a year when the world has been kept apart by our toughest fight in a generation, the Games of the XXXII Olympiad will reunite us in a way nothing else can.
No one can take you inside this momentous moment in history like the Seven Network. Our proud partnership with the Olympic movement stretches back to the advent of television in Australia 65 years ago.
In every Olympics we have covered since, we have taken our audience to a new level of viewing experience, and Tokyo 2020 will be no different.
Fans can look forward to the country’s biggest-ever broadcast and digital event. Once again, we will bring unrivalled expertise to our Tokyo 2020 coverage.
Australians will also be able to keep up to date with all the latest news, the biggest and best moments, and exclusive content, on the 7Olympics social channels on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and YouTube.